If someone has been injured in an accident caused by another party in Los Angeles, they have the legal right to file a lawsuit against the negligent party. The negligent party is known as the defendant, and the party who is filing the lawsuit is known as the plaintiff.
What do I do after a car accident in Los Angeles?
The steps to take after being involved in a car accident in Los Angeles are very critical when you are trying to recover compensation in the future. That is why our Car accident attorneys in Los Angeles advise these specific steps after you have been involved in a car accident:
- Prevent talking about fault and liability after the accident. For example, do not talk to the other party about whose fault the accident was and who caused the accident. These statements could be used against you if you were to file a lawsuit in the future.
- Move the vehicles out of the way if the accident occurs on a busy freeway or road. There’s a very high likelihood that another accident may occur if the vehicles are not properly moved out of the way.
- Seek medical care immediately. After being involved in a car accident, your nerves and anxiety might prevent you from feeling any pain. Although you are not feeling any pain, this does not necessarily mean that you have not suffered any injuries. Your injuries may be felt days after the accident. They may also point to severe injuries such as traumatic brain injuries. That is why we advise everyone who has been involved in a car accident in Los Angeles to seek a medical evaluation.
- Contact the police immediately. The police department will arrive on site and draft a police report that specifies who the parties are and where the accident occurred.
- Contact a top-rated Los Angeles car accident attorney to discuss your case. There are several different accident attorneys in Los Angeles who claim to have experience. Our attorneys have a very successful track record and have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. We know exactly how to deal with insurance companies and other third parties. We worked tirelessly to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. While you focus on your injuries, our attorneys will take care of the rest.
What should I not do after a car accident in Los Angeles?
After you have been involved in an accident, there are steps you should not take after an accident. These include:
- Do not discuss the case with other third parties and defendants.
- Do not post anything on social media, because photos could be used against you.
- Do not give the insurance company any statements regarding the accident.
- Do not admit fault at any point to any party after the accident.
- Make sure that you attend all your doctors’ appointments and physical therapy appointments. Failure to attend could potentially be used against you.
- Do not accept any settlement offers without your attorney.
What are common car accident injuries in Los Angeles?
- Broken bones
- Internal organ failure
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Third-degree burns
- High injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
How do you file a car accident claim in Los Angeles?
In order to file a claim in Los Angeles, there are certain steps that must be met. These are:
- Contact an experienced attorney. An attorney will be able to guide you through the legal process.
- File a complaint in the proper court. For example, if the accident occurred in Los Angeles, you most likely will have to file the original paperwork for the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- The defendant, also known as the party that is getting sued, will be receiving the complaint and paperwork.
- The defendant then responds to the complaint and paperwork. The response will most likely deny or admit that they caused the accident.
- After this occurs, both parties will investigate and look into the accident.
- A lawsuit could either end with a settlement or a trial judgment. The settlement occurs when both parties come together and try to negotiate a specific sum. If both parties cannot agree, then they most likely will go to trial. In trial, the jury will decide what judgment a party should be awarded.
Should I get a lawyer for an accident that was not my fault in Los Angeles?
If you have been in an accident that is not your fault in Los Angeles, and you are trying to seek recovery against the negligent party, you should get a lawyer. Although it is not required that you have a lawyer when filing a lawsuit, it is very strongly preferred. Usually, defendants and negligent parties will have aggressive attorneys. These attorneys will try to take advantage of you and pay out as little as possible. Having an attorney on your side will be able to ease the process while you focus on healing from your accident injuries.
How much do our Los Angeles car accident attorneys cost?
Our Los Angeles attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. We do not seek any compensation from our clients unless we win a settlement or a judgment in their favor. This means that we do not collect a single dollar unless we win in favor of our clients.
Call Our Los Angeles Attorneys Today
We have decades of experience representing victims in car accidents in Los Angeles. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation, and to review the different details about your car accident claim. We are always on your side every step of the way to make sure that you are comfortable with the entire legal process. Do not suffer injuries and medical bills on your own. Hold the negligent party responsible. An experienced car accident attorney will make or break your entire claim. You want to make sure that you have the right attorneys on your side.